Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Natural Professional (me) comes face to face with... The Real Corporate World


Once in a while, we run our mouths so much, that there comes a time when what we say WILL be tested by experience.  My first professional interview since going natural came that test.

I received a call requesting me to interview for a position (which at the time of this writing, will remain nameless) that was a lucrative opportunity at a salary of my dreams.  I was excited, but all of a sudden, I got real quiet and reflective.  I realized that this was not only an opportunity, but a responsibility for me to step up to a new level of handling my responsibilities rightly and... to face my silent perceptions about facing the professional world that I had left about three years ago, as a natural professional.

Yes, ladies and gents, I had to put up!  For all the opinions and encouragement I've given to others.  To all the enjoyment and celebrations that I've had and shared in my natural journey on Facebook.  I came face to face with my own hidden fears about this:  I had to face the professional world and interview for the first time, in my natural texture.  I chuckled at the irony of this, and wondered for a moment what I would do.  How should I dress? My hair was not long enough to put in a protective style, yet.  I loved my curls, and if I wet my hair, do my regular moisture regime and let it air dry, it would do so and my 3b curls would be defined.  I came face to face with my own prejudices about being a natural in a corporate environment.

After consulting with my Lord in prayer, as I always do, I confessed my concerns to Him, and asked silently what I should do.  At that moment, I do admit, I felt like a hypocrite, considering how vocal I had been about the beauty of being a natural professional.  How I loved it and how freeing it was to be ME, and not to have to find the right style.  Now, it was my turn to come out into the corporate world, as I was -- a naturally textured career professional.  What would I do? Would I put up and go out as that?  Or would I tuck tail and hide behind a protective style and buy (what I called) a phony pony(tail)? This was the moment that I had to choose who I truly would be in the workplace world that I had taken a hiatus from.  After much consideration as to the styles I could do,  it came to me to relax and wear my hair just the way it is.  Just go as myself and wear my own texture as confidently as I do my resume. I knew how to dress properly.  My natural texture is an expression of my uniqueness.  My most authentic self is represented in my natural crown, and I care for my hair so properly, I swear, I believe my scalp and hair are spoiled now.  I had nothing to be ashamed of, and if I wear it with confidence, my texture will be accepted as a part of who I am as a whole.  

So, away I went to my interview. Color coordinated, dressed, I was with my curlies curled and smiling.  I went to that interview and handled it professionally, as myself now.  An assured competent person who was the right for the job.   It went quite nicely, I might add, and though I am still expecting a return call, I came away from that defining moment with a new appreciation for my style as a natural professional.  An understanding that people do not care so much about your "hair" as we are often led to believe, if we come confident AND competent.  As someone said, though I am not sure who; "Excellence, Like genius, knows no color."

So I wear my natural curlies as my crown of glory.  I wear them gladly, gratefully, and unashamed.  Because I know the journey I went through to become fully complete as a person, a woman of grace who reflects my Creator's glory and now through experience, I have learned that if I don't make a big deal about my hair choice, others won't either.  Most hiring managers care about the value you bring to their bottom line.  If you can do that, and come correct in your presentation, you will most likely find more admirers than you do haters.  In fact, you might just be the inspiration for others to find the courage they need to live life authentic.  

 Like natural Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment